Dick Harp 1956-64
KU Record 121-82, .596, 8 Seasons
|ARTICLES ABOUT DICK HARP|
· Harp spent 8 seasons as Allen's assistant and took over the head spot when Allen retired.
· Harp played basketball at KU, lettering from 1938-40 and was starting guard on the 1940 KU team that lost to Indiana in the NCAA finals.
· Harp led the Jayhawks to two conference titles and two NCAA tournament berths. In 1957, he led the Jayhawks to the finals, where KU lost to North Carolina 54-53 in triple overtime.
· Both Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Bridges became All-Americans under Harp.
· After leaving KU, Harp served as the director of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes for 13 years.
· Harp is one of only five people to have played and coached in an NCAA title game.
· Harp returned to coaching between 1986-1989 under Dean Smith, another former KU player and assistant under Allen. While at UNC, Harp became acquatinted with a UNC assistant named Roy Williams.
Dick Harp obituaries